About Me

An avid traveler I have had the good fortune to have spent my career in the travel and vacation industry. From Bali to Copenhagen and all points between is where I have been or intend to go. This blog however is specific to the Western half of the United States as I explore this part of the world.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Mom's Sugar Cookies


My mother sent me some sugar cookies the other day and I opened them up and had a bite... I will tell you what... I was not expecting the flood of Christmas memories that I got... it has been a while since a taste or smell triggered such a onrush...

Memories of...

... making cookies as a child with my mother...

... the small plastic containers with different colored sugars, silver balls, pastel stars, red hots...

... the same cookie cutter shapes as always...

Sonny even was a little surprised as I rummaged through the cookies to find a Santa with a silver ball in his cap or a Christmas tree with the same silver ball as a star at the top and the glee I felt upon finding one.

Just amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ted, glad you enjoyed the rush. I hoped you'd get one. Mine dates back to the 1950s, when my mother made the same recipe--and some of the same shapes! I too remember helping decorate them (sorry I didn't have any red hots--they make good bell clappers)and loved the little silver balls, dragees! The crunch when you bit into them. Yum. They're called "Medallion Sugar Cookies" and the recipe came on the back of a Swansdown Cake Flour box sometime in the 1950s. For me, they're still the ultimate Christmas cookie so, of course, I HAD to send them!