About Me

An avid traveler I have had the good fortune to have spent my career in the travel and vacation industry. From Bali to Copenhagen and all points between is where I have been or intend to go. This blog however is specific to the Western half of the United States as I explore this part of the world.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Christmas Lists

Lisa clowning around last Christmas


I finally completed my Christmas List after about a month of requests to do so. Sonny stood over me tapping her foot... she had gotten a call from her parents who were at that very moment doing Christmas shopping and wanted some ideas. I didn't want to throw out any off hand ideas so I agreed to write a full and complete list.

As I was writing I realized that many of the things that I want are pretty expensive... and felt a little guilty about that. However, after drilling down as to why I think I figured it out.

When I was a munchkin I had no money, no transportation and no street cred at the mall as a patron. So basically everything was beyond my means... everything from breakfast to Christmas presents had to be provided by my parents or Santa. I think it was about the same through college... sure I could buy a burger, a beer and movie tickets but still relied on my parents for the big ticket items... like tuition, rent, meal plan... sure I was a bouncer, waiter, kitchen staff, data-entry clerk, student painter and more but add that to my spend now mentality and I was definitely living for the day as far as my money was concerned... In retrospect my parents were my backup to irresponsible spending.

Just ask Vic, John and Poncho my roommates... hell I paid John back money I owed him since '93 a year ago... a decade later... thank god he didn't charge interest. Well anyway I am getting off track here.

Now that I am a man of means... I have a good job... make good money and feel secure... the things that used to be beyond my means no longer are... so I have them... I still like to spend... haven't broken that habit completely.

So the things that I want... are beyond my current means or if within my means are outside the realm of responsible purchases. And so my lists grows from this reality... same reality as when I was 4 years old. I want what I can't justify purchasing myself at this time... However, my one save on the list is that I love to shop (the spending thing again) so I am enamored with Gift Certificates to some of my favorite stores or websites. And these items always make it onto the list.

Jsut to add... my love of shopping isn't limited to myself... I really enjoy shopping for others and so I thoroughly enjoy the Christmas shopping season as I try to find thoughtful and inspired gifts.

As for me asking for lists from others... Since I avoid them myself, it isn't something I do often unless I am shopping for one of those people that seem impossible to shop for... or just to get some additional ideas outside of the fantastic ones I come up with!

Hmmm so many people asking me for my list... am I one of those impossible people???

Ted's List

Pioneer AVIC-N2 In-Dash Navigation System http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ .
Peripheral i-pod stereo adapter (hardwire connection not FM broadcast) http://www.crutchfield.com/
PC Game Age of Empires III (Bestbuy, Fry’s, Target, almost any store that sells main stream pc games)
Altec Lansing IM7 Portable Speaker System for I-Pod http://www.bestbuy.com/
A really Good Digital SLR Camera (Canon, Nikon, Konica/Minolta) so that I can get back to using interchangeable lenses, bellows, filters with camera… I love my Nikon Coolpix 5400 but it is limited at night (flash), response time to multiple consecutive photographs and flexibility. My dream camera would be turning my Canon T70 (film camera) into an 8 mega pixel camera.
3 in 1 printer meaning printer, scanner, fax all in same machine. Multiple inks not just tri-color and black but a 5-7 ink cartridge set up, wireless, 2 side printing, document feeder, ability to scan negatives… superior quality.
Large format inkjet printer… ability to print larger than 8x10 photos.
Gift certificate to Best Buy
Gift certificate for Jos. A. Bank.
DVD, Spaceballs, War of the Worlds, Cinderella Man.
Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW http://www.dell.com/
Lucchese 2000 Black cow leather or Kangaroo (kangaroo softer) cowboy boots size 13
50 Gallon Aquarium (like curved front)
Bose Acoustimass 16 home entertainment speaker system http://www.bose.com/
Gym clothes… shorts work out shirts & sweaters… Nike, Starter, Adidas, And 1
Collectable Swords (Lord of the Rings Witchking sword)
Micro Soft Publisher (publishing software)
Photoshop (photo editing software)
Gift certificate for a good dress shoe store
Gift Certificate to http://www.amazon.com/
Gift Certificate to Borders Book Store

No comments: