About Me

An avid traveler I have had the good fortune to have spent my career in the travel and vacation industry. From Bali to Copenhagen and all points between is where I have been or intend to go. This blog however is specific to the Western half of the United States as I explore this part of the world.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Royal Palms Resort and Spa

I surprised my wife this weekend with a stay at the Royal Palms in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. I booked a Valencia Suite through DVN and was very happy with the accommodations. We were on a second floor overlooking the courtyard and very near to the spa. The scent of eucalyptus met us coming and going from the room. The room was very nice, reminding me somewhat of Pronghorn's private residency club rooms. The tub however was one of my favorites. It was shaped more like a cube than a standard tub measuring about 5x5x3feet deep. Great place to soak after being out in the Phoenix heat.

The overall atmosphere of the resort is great. Service is A+ and the separated walled gardens, pools and hidden nooks and fountains made it an enjoyable place to wander. Our first night we dined at the resort restaurant, T. Cook's.  As our waiter served our lobster bisque we were pleasantly surprised by the presentation.  Chilled lobster in the base of the bowl with the warm bisque poured into the bowl table side.  The last time we had such a presentation was at Manuel's on the 28th, one of our favorite Orlando restaurants which is unfortunately closed now.  Manuel's still holds the record for the very best lobster bisque we have every had.  For years since we have ordered bisque's hopeful that we would one day taste a bisque the equal of Manuel's.  With the presentation we were hopeful but while very good... it fell short of our hopes while meeting our expectations.

However, the high point of the meal was our entrees and the wine I picked to accompany.  Sonny ordered Duck a L'Orange which she hadn't had in some time and I went with the Pork Tenderloin though I was thinking Georges Bank Scallops at one point.  The wine, Owen Roe Sharecropper's Pinot noir '09 was fantastic and paired well with our meals.  I was unfamiliar with Sharecropper's but there was a note from the sommelier on the wine list that it was delightful.  As would be expected at a resort of this caliber dining is not inexpensive.  An excellent option to enjoy a special night out with spouse.

No comments: